[Foundation-l] #wikipedia

Michael Bimmler mbimmler at gmail.com
Wed Jun 20 20:17:51 UTC 2007

On 6/20/07, Rory Stolzenberg <rory096 at gmail.com> wrote:
> On 6/20/07, Michael Bimmler <mbimmler at gmail.com> wrote:
> >
> > On 6/20/07, Dejan Čabrilo <dcabrilo at gmail.com> wrote:
> > > Ok, gathered from what several of you said, is it fair that I draw the
> > > following conclusions:
> > >
> > > 1) Seanw is a group contact of Wikimedia, appointed by Wikimedia, on
> > > FreeNode.
> > >
> > define "appointed by Wikimedia", please. If you are referring to the
> > foundation, this is wrong.
>

> It is? My understanding of the system was that while the WMF never really
> claimed to own the IRC channels, because they're at # and not ##, the
> foundation actually does, and so it appointed the group contacts. [[m:IRC
> Group Contacts]] says "The IRC Group Contacts are the liaisons between
> Wikimedia and the staff of the freenode IRC
> network<http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/en:freenode>
> ."

As I just got confirmation, the Wikimedia Foundation is not accredited
with Freenode for IRC purposes, so there is no group administered by
the Foundation. There is, however, a group called "wikimedia" which is
basically built and managed by the Wikimedia community. The board did
*not* at any time appoint IRC Group Contacts.

Michael