[Foundation-l] #wikipedia

Sean Whitton sean at silentflame.com
Wed Jun 20 11:01:09 UTC 2007

> Because Sean is one of our two IRC group contacts for Wikimedia (with
> James_F), member of Freenode staff (you know, this network you are using and
> whose rules you have accepted a long time ago).

I'd like to make it very clear this was an action as group contact not
as freenode staff. freenode staff have given advice as my peers,
nothing more. Also, Mark_Ryan was widely recognised as the 'leader' of
the channel as he was the most active manager of the ops team. He
fully supported our proposals and contributed to them, suggesting to
me that we do have authorisation, if you see what I mean.

> Because someone had to do it. Sean was only bold enough to dare doing it.
>
> Sean, I think you should make it publicly clear what the problems were, so
> that people really understand why your action was needed.

Guillom, thanks for highlighting this. The problems were that a lot of
on-wiki users had abandoned #wikipedia in favour of other channels or
of leaving IRC altogether. It had been called a blasted wasteland.
However, IRC was still recognised as a useful tool, just that our
original channel (as in, been around in one form or another for the
longest time) was not. I didn't see that as a good situation.

Also, I was of the opinion that our ops were a little harsh at times
and were not willing to act as catalysts. This is not to say they did
not agree with the philosophy, but just that they were in old habits.
Here I agree with the concern that it is not for me to say "you will
op as I wish you to) but there was plenty of popular support for the
spirit of the idea.

So, the idea of removing ops was primarily to create the opportunity
for ratification of the guidelines. It was realised that the last
attempt at guidelines had failed because those who were to enforce
them were confused: if we had created a peaceful channel with them and
then an inactive op came back and shattered things (in good faith and
unintentionally) it would have been all for naught. By asking ops to
reapply we can reaffirm we're all on the same wavelength.

Sean

—Sean Whitton (seanw)
<sean at silentflame.com>
http://seanwhitton.com/