[Foundation-l] #wikipedia

Dejan Čabrilo dcabrilo at gmail.com
Wed Jun 20 08:31:25 UTC 2007

On Wed, 2007-06-20 at 01:01 -0700, Dmcdevit wrote:
> Yes, getting no answer while US politics or furry fandom drown out the
> question is worse than that. I think your concern is exaggerated. Most
> channels do not have 250 regular users, and they do fine. I think
> #wiktionary is a good example of a channel that consistently has less
> than 30 occupants, and is always more active than #wikipedia-en with
> many more on-topic conversations, and tangents as well.

I personally listened to off topic discussion in #wiktionary and I
participated in several. This was while I was editing wiktionary, so I
needed a lot of help on technical issues.

Wiktionary has a smaller regular users base, so what you are talking
about is only natural.

> > 1) Were there any complaints that #wikipedia wasn't helpful to people
> > with questions?
> Yes, very much so.

Please give us the specifics and let us decide how to solve the
problems. Don't solve them for us.

Also, a question for you: why not consult the community (properly)
first? Why not take our input now?

Dejan Čabrilo