[Foundation-l] WMF-projects: Carbon neutral/low/aware website?

Brianna Laugher brianna.laugher at gmail.com
Fri Jun 8 14:27:06 UTC 2007

Walter, cool idea and great to have it raised. I agree with some of
the replies so far - let it literally be a community decision by
having a separate fundraiser targeting logged-in users. if it raises
the required amount, put it towards going carbon neutral. if it
doesn't, well, some   more shrapnel (small change) for WMF. I also
agree it would be better on the wikimediafoundation.org site rather
than, say, the footer of every WMF project page.

It reminds me a bit of the Linguist List fundraising model. They hold
a general fundraiser, and during it they announce "We are going to try
and raise funds specifically for project X. the required amount is Y.
if we reach the target in Z days, we will fund the project." so donors
can vote with their dollars for this or that project. (Some may recall
that it's how they raised funds to pay for someone to edit Wikipedia
linguistics articles.)

I like it, but I guess it is more appropriate to community-internal
fundraising rather than the general-public fundraising we currently
do.

cheers,
Brianna
user:pfctdayelise