[Foundation-l] unknown copyright status of images on meta

Platonides Platonides at gmail.com
Thu Jun 7 13:05:59 UTC 2007

Erik Moeller wrote:
> On 6/7/07, Pedro Sanchez wrote:
>> what's the copyright status for those?
>
> Back in the day, you had to tick a checkbox to agree to license the
> work under GFDL when uploading it. So, we can probably safely tag all
> those logos with GFDL.

Those logos participated in a logo contest for being THE logo. So almost
surely they aren't GFDL, if they were, so would
http://meta.wikimedia.org/wiki/Image:Ncwikicol.png :P

Either the authors have given their rights to the Foundation, or -not
being elected- the rights reverted to the author again.

We surely have the right to keep them on a meta: gallery, as there the
authors uploaded them, but reusing is more complicated. We probably need
to ask each author individually.

The licenses of logo rejected submissions is quite obscure. As they can
be a future logo, they can't get a free license. But if they're not
elected, Foundation doesn't get it neither.
We could encourage submissions like "© WMF if accepted, GFDL if
rejected", "Gets Cc-by status if no changes in a month..." but then we
lose the ability of logo reusing on future contests.