[Foundation-l] Following the conventions: seperating Wikisource

Ray Saintonge saintonge at telus.net
Tue Jun 5 08:49:12 UTC 2007

GerardM wrote:

>Hoi,
>A new language does not need to start with a Wikipedia. There was at some
>stage an NGO who was willing to give content to the Wikimedia Foundation for
>a language that we do not support at this moment. In this instance it would
>have been a Wikibook. It could have been appropriate for Wikisource.
>
>So no, I am not mistaken. What I described is that when a new language
>starts, the requirements for a new language still apply. Your suggestion was
>about new Wikisource projects. You did not consider new languages starting
>in Wikisource. This is why I made my remark.

You're stirring the pot with a red herring.  Your desire to maintain
control is just one factor among many.  (Remember that I was the one who
argued that Wikisource should remain as a single project.)  It makes
sense, as has been stated that Wikisource should not establish separate
projects for all languages that come along; some just do not have enough
of a written literature to maintain a Wikisource.  Others, notably dead
languages, may have a literature but no need to have their own
interface.  So if Wikisource has its own sensible criteria for accepting
new languages, and they have satisfactorily considered the potential
problems why should you need a veto on their activity?

Ec