[Foundation-l] Following the conventions: seperating Wikisource

Dovi Jacobs dovijacobs at yahoo.com
Tue Jun 5 06:36:35 UTC 2007

Gerard, I think you may be confusing an entirely new Wikimedia language
with a new project (WIkiversity, Wikisource) in an existing language.
I was talking about the latter (e.g. a new Wikiversity in Arabic).

Actually, the confusion may have been my fault, because I mistakenly gave
Wikipedia as an example in my previous post.

So to be absolutely clear, my suggestion had nothing to do with the process of sanctioning entirely new languages, but rather to host new test-projects for
existing languages at project-specific incubator wikis (like Wikiversity and
Wikisource).

Dovi Jacobs

>> Everybody assumes that Wikipedia is to be the first project to introduce a new language. This is however not a given. When a new language is introduced for Wikisource, the requirements for a new language still apply. Particularly the language is to be approved to conform to what is considered to be that language.

>>Consequently, when a new language is to be started first in Wikisource, the
requirements are not waived. What can be discussed is to host it in
Wikisource... However it would NOT be an approved language nor an approved
project until it meets the requirements as specified by the language
committee. This is not something that can be voted on.