[Foundation-l] [Commons-l] We should permit Flash video playback

Gregory Maxwell gmaxwell at gmail.com
Sat Jul 21 04:16:57 UTC 2007

I just found out Erik's video thread also exists on Foundation-l.
Readers there may want to see the lively discussion on commons-l
(http://lists.wikimedia.org/pipermail/commons-l/2007-July/thread.html).

Kelly Martin also has an interesting blog post on the matter at:
http://nonbovine-ruminations.blogspot.com/2007/07/peace-love-and-progress-but-not-free.html

Continue reading this email to see an interesting point:

On 7/20/07, (on commons-l) geni <geniice at gmail.com> wrote:
> YouTube's TOS conflicts with most free licenses.

YouTube's TOS is pretty bad but they aren't alone.

In YouTube's case having a lot of free content would likely be against
their business model: If people can legally duplicate their collection
its value to them is reduced. ;)

Here are some hunks of another TOS. I think it's important so please
take the time to read it:

"This terms of use agreement (the "Agreement") governs your use of the
collection of Web pages and other digital content (the "Collections")
available (...). When accessing (a) page, you will be presented with
the terms of use agreement. If you do not agree to these terms, please
do not use the (...) Collections or its Web site (the "Site").
Access to the (...) Collections is provided at no cost to you and is
granted for scholarship and research purposes only.
Some of the content available through the Archive may be governed by
local, national, and/or international laws and regulations, and your
use of such content is solely at your own risk. You agree to abide by
all applicable laws and regulations, including intellectual property
laws, in connection with your use of the Archive. In particular, you
certify that your use of any part of the Archive's Collections will be
noncommercial and will be limited to non infringing or fair use under
copyright law.

Where did this come from?
This is from the TOS for the Internet Archive, the organization Erik
would prefer be hosting our video.

Serving large files is technically easy compared to what we are
already doing. Our techs don't see a need. ... We have a better
recognized name, and more traffic today. I just don't see the
justification for hosting anything of ours there.

Collaboration is another matter. No one is opposed to that.

But when Erik meets with the Internet Archive to talk Wikimedia
technical stuff without consulting with the board, the community, the
technical staff, or even being aware of the current status of our
existing video support ... that isn't just isn't how collaboration
happens. It was my understanding that Erik was out there for
Omegawiki, and not Wikimedia in any case.

It's good if people are able to make visits for us while on other
trips: but not if it isn't people with the right information...