[Foundation-l] Logotype font, t-shirts, Wikimedia Sweden

Lars Aronsson lars at aronsson.se
Thu Jul 19 18:34:56 UTC 2007

Inspired by the creation of Wikimedia Norway (which I attended),
we are now starting to discuss the formation of a Swedish chapter.
I hope and think it can be completed before this year's end. The
recent discussion (in Swedish) can be found on
http://sv.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wikipedia:Wikimedia_Sverige

A similar discussion from a year ago took place on meta, but
didn't lead to anything real.  The page mentioned above links to
all such discussions.

Even before the chapter is formed, I think it would be nice to
print t-shirts with the logotype for the Swedish Wikipedia.
However, today this logotype doesn't exist in high resolution.
And the small resolution logotype used on sv.wikipedia.org appears
to use a font which is slightly different from the one used for
the other European languages. What is the name of the proper font?
Is that font available in Gimp?  Or can someone help us with this?

WMF already has a t-shirt shop at cafepress.com (in California)
and the German chapter has a shop at spreadshirt.de.  Both shops
charge extra for delivery to Sweden, so the Swedish chapter would
probably prefer to set up a similar shop based in Sweden. Is there
any established practice in how to do this?  Does every use of the
logotypes need to be cleared with the WMF? Should items be sold at
the price of printing or with a 10% markup, for the benefit of the
national chapter?

I remember at the first Wikimania (in 2005) there was a large flag
with the Wikipedia puzzle globe without (?) any text.  Does
anybody already have a stock of such flags?  I know they can be
printed in single quantity, but become much cheaper once you can
print five or ten at a time.  I'd like to buy one or two, and my
guess is that Wikimedia Norway might also be interested.

--
  Lars Aronsson (lars at aronsson.se)