[Foundation-l] Future Board election procedures and guidelines

Jimmy Wales jwales at wikia.com
Mon Jul 16 20:55:24 UTC 2007

On Jul 16, 2007, at 1:43 PM, Thomas Dalton wrote:
> It was luck. It's simply a result of which people happened to vote. If
> you get a large enough turnout, the error caused by the people voting
> not being a representative sample of the whole electorate becomes
> insignificant. We didn't get a large enough turnout.

I think that luck is one interpretation.  Another interpretation is
that a large number of people who only know the candidates by general
reputation thought they all sounded fine, and voted for this group,
and that people closer to the community actually did have a
preference and expressed it.  The general public votes more or less
washed out, due to lack of information, and the "insider" votes
swayed the election.

OR

The insider votes were swamped by noise from outsiders, or by non-
rational preferences based on order on the ballot or whatever.

We just don't know.  I think it is not safe to assume either luck or
expression of preference.

--Jimbo