[Foundation-l] Notice of the results of the WMF Board ofTrustees election

Walter Vermeir walter at wikipedia.be
Sat Jul 14 13:21:42 UTC 2007

Sue Reed schreef:
> But, obviously we don't have the resources internally because it
> didn't get done. I feel that the Board and/or Election Committee

There are resources to do a lot internally. To communicate to the
community you need;
# A message written
# The message needs to get translated
# And the message needs to get exposed to the target audience

The message that need to get announced is frequently mush to late
available for this process to work good. It takes time, a lot of time,
for a message to spread across the languages and wikis if it happens at all.

There is decent team translators active. The candidates statements are
translated in many languages and also the related pages about the
election. On some other places is there also multi languages news to be
found about the election.

I think the main problem is not the making of the translations but to
bring that translated information to the attention of the target
audience. The work is done of making the translations but there a lack
of followup to do anything with those texts.

But bothem line is that is the responsibly of very Wikimedia project
wiki community to organize there own community and inform there local
community. That it is not the task of the WMF to hire people to make
translations. Like was written before here this is not a kindergarden.

The wiki community's have very large automity but that gives also very
large local responsibility. At the top of pyramid there was more then
enough attention and information about the election. It can just happen
that there is no interest by a local community. That is the
responsibility of that particular community and not of the WMF.

Walter

--
Contact: walter AT wikizine DOT org
Wikizine.org - news for and about the Wikimedia community