[Foundation-l] Notice of the results of the WMF Board ofTrustees election

Florence Devouard Anthere9 at yahoo.com
Sat Jul 14 09:05:50 UTC 2007

Brianna Laugher wrote:
> On 13/07/07, Florence Devouard <Anthere9 at yahoo.com> wrote:
> Maybe an election is an appropriate time to request/hire outside help.
> It was done for the vote counting, why not the election organising?
>
> The election and has come and gone, and on the whole IMO it was
> handled well. I don't mean to attack the committee or the Board about
> it.
>
>> That the board pays translators ?
> [...]
>> I also think that if the board makes the decision to hire translators,
>> there will be a HUGE uproar of complaints, because we indeed have the
>> resources internally.
>
> As Sue Reed said, If we do, then where were they? If no one
> volunteers, IMO it would be appropriate to pay translators for events
> such as this.

Hello

As far as I know, nobody was paid to count the votes...

Most international organizations define a list of languages, in which
they make sure every information is translated. If we go tomorrow in the
concept of "paying translators to make sure this language is covered",
we need to list THE languages chosen. We may be able to garantee
translations in 15 languages, but certainly not in 250. There should be
a list. If then, who decides which languages are mandatory ?

This goes behond elections of course. Right now, every aspects of our
organization communication is done in english, with translations done on
a volunteer basis. If we want to really push the communication side, the
entire website for example, should be translated. Not only the
elections. Which means translation needs are much larger than estimated
at first glance.

As for myself, I would not be supportive of paying people by default,
because we would need to pay each of them, and then look for them, and
them manage them. In the end, instead of a smooth volunteer-based
translation system, we would have a company, with management, payrol,
political fight to get the job etc... Pouah

I would be happier to come to a system where those largely helping the
Foundation, are offered some monetary or non monetary gifts, without
getting in a salary system. For example, paying the ticket to Wikimania,
or to another relevant conference. Offering a computer. Offering a
license for those who need proprietary software to do very specific jobs
;-) Offering registration to a weekly etc...

Ant