[Foundation-l] Wikimedia Pennsylvania

Dedalus dedalus at wikipedia.be
Fri Jul 13 19:27:22 UTC 2007

Ray Saintonge wrote:

>Using the .us domain did cross my mind.  Can you explain why
>pa.wikimedia.us would be preferable to wikimedia.pa.us?  My impression
>has been that leading codes would be linguistic, and trailing codes
>would be national and sub-national.

Please keep in mind RFC 1480: non-governmental state-wide agencies
like Wikimedia
chapters would have to list something like wikimedia.gen.<state>.us.

There are pros and cons to that system. Please note that there are
currently no charges for domain registration. For example to register
wikimedia.gen.tx.us visit:
http://www.ns.gen.tx.us/cgi-bin/template.pl

However there might be a very simple reason why
<two-letter-state-code>.wikimedia.us is to be preferred. WMF already
registered wikimedia.us (and can therefore easily create
pa.wikimedia.us).

Dedalus