[Foundation-l] Wikimedia Pennsylvania

Ray Saintonge saintonge at telus.net
Tue Jul 10 18:02:42 UTC 2007

Brion Vibber wrote:

>Casey Brown wrote:
>

>>Just for the record, we are doing State-based chapters at the request of the
>>Chapters Committee.  We had originally wanted a regional committee, but
>>ChapComm strongly suggested simply a state organization (and who were we to
>>argue? :P).
>>

>Hmm, I'd tend to agree with the sentiment that regional / metro-based
>chapters make more sense than state chapters, especially if the idea is
>to organize local activity. We already have US legal infrastructure in
>WMF, and there'll be more benefit in local organizing by keeping groups,
>well, local.
>
>Miami and Tallahassee, or Los Angeles and San Francisco, or Philly and
>Pittsburgh, don't seem like super-convenient pairings to me.

True enough.  Penguins aren't Flyers. :-)

>What's the argument in favor of state-level blocks?

At this early stage with US chapters the best answer might be, "Whatever
works."  Getting people together, and discussing this at a local level
will be very important.  A state with a single dominant major city that
doesn't overlap into a neighboring state may find the state model
superior.  A comination looks good in the short run, but it could be
later modified later.

>>Interesting point about the name.  However, the two do indeed overlap, in
>>many instances including this one.  Our own article even says that the
>>internet TLD .pa is used by Panama *and* Pennsylvania jointly, due to the
>>overlap in their names.  I really don't think it is worth changing at this
>>moment in time.  After all, there may never be a Wikimedia Panama and it is
>>just an abbreviation, no official meaning is given.
>>

>One sensible thing might be to use subdomains under wikimedia.us:
>pa.wikimedia.us, il.wikimedia.us, etc? :)

Using the .us domain did cross my mind.  Can you explain why
pa.wikimedia.us would be preferable to wikimedia.pa.us?  My impression
has been that leading codes would be linguistic, and trailing codes
would be national and sub-national.

Ec