[Foundation-l] Will the Board accept the election result?

Thomas Dalton thomas.dalton at gmail.com
Sat Jul 7 18:37:37 UTC 2007

> I don't wish to be presumptuous about what you understand the WMF Board to
> be, but one thing they certainly are *not* is replaceable or under any
> sort of control of the users in any way.  The present voting is,
> therefore, an indication of general support which the (current) Board may
> choose to act on however it sees fit. Without a membership structure they
> are the sole arbiter of who is and is not appointed.

They most certainly are replaceable. If the community are not happy
with the board they can, and will, fork. The only thing of any great
value WMF owns is the name "Wikipedia". I agree the board are not
under direct control of the users, but if they want to remain a
meaningful organisation, they need to respect the users. They know
this, and that's why I'm confident they will respect the election
results, regardless of their personal opinions of the people elected.