[Foundation-l] Wikimedia Brand Survey Analysis

Ray Saintonge saintonge at telus.net
Fri Jul 6 10:29:19 UTC 2007

phoebe ayers wrote:

>Or maybe I'm just jaded because I spent an hour last night talking to a
>friend who wanted to know how he could get his online community of
>historical reenactors joined up with "Wiki"; he meant Wikipedia, and he just
>assumed that we had a good way to incorporate specific communities of
>interest. This is a sysadmin with his own install of Mediawiki, so not
>entirely clueless. But I suspect, as others have pointed out in this thread,
>that community distinctions elide most of the public once they've gotten the
>idea of 'wiki' anything.

Sometimes it makes you wonder how clueless the clueful really are.  :-)
  There's a message of some sort in all that.  People spend a goodly
segment of their lives becoming credentialled in something, often to the
exclusion of what that something is for.  A couple days ago Ant
mentioned teachers with no real world experience.  Perhaps the
educational hierarchy is just producing neatly stacked slices of white
bread, and ignoring the more healthy production at specialty bakeries.

Ec