[Foundation-l] Wikimedia Brand Survey Analysis

Andrew Gray shimgray at gmail.com
Thu Jul 5 14:38:33 UTC 2007

On 05/07/07, Brion Vibber <brion at wikimedia.org> wrote:

> Just a data point from a practical perspective: we get blank looks when
> we tell people we're "the Wikimedia Foundation", versus wide eyes and
> bright smiles when we tell people we're "Wikipedia". The latter is a lot
> nicer to get when we're asking for something. :)
>
> My impression is that "Wikipedia" is the *only* name of ours that has
> any traction among the general public.

Ditto.

"Wikimedia", I suspect, owes a lot of its success to people thinking
you said Wikipedia... or, in print, being somewhat unclear as to how
on earth you spell Wikipedia at the best of times!

(The recognition of the others as related may have something to do
with the fact that an awful lot of people think wikis are, well,
invariably involved with us somehow)

--
- Andrew Gray
  andrew.gray at dunelm.org.uk