[Foundation-l] Election mailings

effe iets anders effeietsanders at gmail.com
Thu Jul 5 08:49:25 UTC 2007

I am very much against these mailings, and would personally consider a
block for spamming on nlwiki. Probably all arguments were on this list
before already, but I have just not the time unfortunately to read all
70+ emails in that thread.

First of all, I think that this emailfunction is *not* meant as a
mass-email-system. It is meant so you can e-mail *induvidual* users,
and I have always promised users that this address could not be used
to send emails on a large scale. That is very much why people are
willing to set their email.

If there has to be an email sent in this way, I think only two bodies
can decide to do so. The community and the Wikimedia Foundation. That
the rate of votes has increased sounds good (at first glance) but
doesn't make your decision per se right. I think the side-effects,
especially on the long term, have to be considered.

I myself would seriously consider now to de-activate my email on the
wiki's in the future, as that is the only way of shutting down the
email. I am afraight that this won't be the last email sent this way,
as I have lately at least received one other email this way, by
xtimeline about wikimania. (three days ago) I assume by the way the
email was set up I was not the only one.

Hence I urge you to stop and go no further, do not send out these
emailbulks anymore. I think this is actually a bug in the software,
and that unfortunately some maximum might have to be set.

Regards, Lodewijk