[Foundation-l] [Announcement] Welcome Mike !

Florence Devouard anthere at anthere.org
Tue Jul 3 22:26:25 UTC 2007

Dear Wikimedians,

Please join me in welcoming Mike Godwin as our new General Counsel and
Legal Coordinator.

As General Counsel and Legal Coordinator, Mike will be responsible for
handling the day-to-day legal needs of the Wikimedia Foundation, as well
as coordinating pro bono legal help worldwide. Additionally, he will be
responsible for evaluating the Foundation’s policies and operating
procedures, and assisting the Board of Trustees with legal concerns.

Mike comes to us from Yale Law School and the Yale Department of
Computer Science, where he was working as a Research Fellow, supervising
student research projects involving law and technology.

Mike is an accomplished attorney with over 17 years of experience in
legal policy development and advocacy concerning technology, privacy and
the internet. Most notably, he was the first Staff Counsel for the
Electronic Frontier Foundation, a nonprofit dedicated to educating the
public about civil liberties relating to technology, and acted as a
defender of those liberties. He also served as Counsel to two Washington
D.C.-based nonprofits, specifically Public Knowledge and The Center for
Democracy and Technology.

We are confident that Mike’s expertise will be a valuable asset to the
Wikimedia Foundation, and that he will play a central role in helping
the Foundation tackle the many unique challenges it faces.

Mike will be working from his office in the Washington, DC, area. If you
would like to volunteer with the Wikimedia Foundation in a legal
capacity, we encourage you contact Mike directly by email at
mgodwin at wikimedia.org.

Please help me extend a warm welcome to Mike.

Florence Devouard
Chair Wikimedia Foundation

*
http://lists.wikimedia.org/pipermail/foundation-l/2007-June/030946.html