[Foundation-l] spamming of the english wikipedia users detected

Sue Reed sreed1234 at yahoo.com
Tue Jul 3 21:19:33 UTC 2007

----- Original Message ----
From: Robert Horning <robert_horning at netzero.net>

There have been many times that I have needed private, personal
communication with specific Wikimedia users.  For various and very
legitimate reasons.  The e-mail function is explicitly to give this sort
of communication where (particularly with my talk page on en.wikibooks)
the user talk page is a very public forum for communication.  Spam in
this situation is very much against this principle, and significantly
reduces the value of this tool when it is needed the most.

Is it written anywhere that the e-mail user function is explicitly only for private, personal communication?

I, personally, agree with Jimbo with the caveat of another that it should be an opt-in to receive "special notices" from the Foundation. I have been following the mailing lists closely, but I really haven't been all that active on wikipedia lately, so I might have missed the site notice.

I also find it somewhat interesting that the Virgin charity "matching" advertisment during the last fundraiser was a more prominent site notice than the current election notice for the board of the foundation. There seems to be something very backwards about that.

Sue Anne