[Foundation-l] spamming of the english wikipedia users detected

Andrew Gray shimgray at gmail.com
Tue Jul 3 16:45:34 UTC 2007

> While I spent one paragraph of my message to Enwiki eligible users
> making the point of why it is important in particular for them to
> participate, my view is that we all need to participate. I worked on
> English because it had such a large problem, because it is the
> language I speak well, and because it is a community I have been a
> part of.  Other, more qualified, people have been addressing turnout
> in other languages.

...and, presumably, you'd be more than happy to run the process on any
other project if someone provided you with a local translation of the
necessary text? The checking process ought to be pretty much portable.

I think perhaps this might be a rather sensible thing to try and do
from the outset, next time, on as many projects as practical. It
allows a much less ambiguous explanation than one line in sitenotice -
it's almost impossible to have a good succinct explanation there which
doesn't provide scope for misunderstanding or make it look like
*everyone* is eligible.

--
- Andrew Gray
  andrew.gray at dunelm.org.uk