[Foundation-l] Don't waste your vote!

Anthony wikimail at inbox.org
Sun Jul 1 20:09:11 UTC 2007

On 6/30/07, Thomas Dalton <thomas.dalton at gmail.com> wrote:
> Not true. If your only aim is to prevent a particular candidate from
> winning, you should vote to everyone else.

That's what I did in the first election.  For this election, I'm not
voting.  I don't really feel comfortable supporting any of the
candidates, and one vote isn't going to change the election anyway.  I
thought about submitting a blank ballot.  Might still do that.

> That way, if, without your
> vote, the candidate you dislike would win by one vote, they will now
> draw, regardless of who is in 2nd place. If there is candidate other
> than the one you dislike that you do not vote for, and that candidate
> comes in 2nd, one vote behind the candidate you dislike, then you
> could have stopped them winning by voting for them and have failed in
> your objective.

One problem with that strategy is that this election isn't really a
binding election.  If two candidates really did tie for the last seat
with a lot of support, the board would probably just add an extra
seat.  Remember the last election?  Jimbo campaigned against Erik and
then after Erik won the board decided to add three seats instead of
one, effectively canceling out the election results.