[Foundation-l] Fundraising and site notice

Łukasz Garczewski lgarczewski at gmail.com
Mon Jan 8 13:09:08 UTC 2007

> On 07/01/07, Anthere <Anthere9 at yahoo.com> wrote:
>
> > I'll add that some people wrote to Virgin United to complain about them
> > being matching donors. I wonder if they will do the same with all next
> > matching donators, maybe even going as far as trying to publicly shaming
> > them for being matching donors. This will be certainly something to take
> > into account.
>
> That's the stupidest thing I've yet heard of in this entire thing.

Not only that, that's one of the stupidest things I have ever heard of
during my years in this organization and community.

The effects could go far beyond this fund-raiser and the issue of ads
vs. no ads, beyond even the issue of matching donations. Think,
people! Virgin Unite is a *BIG*, international charity. Do you think
they don't have contacts with other similar charities? If somebody
from one of these other organizations comes to them and asks "How did
you do with the matching donations thing? I saw your logo." they'll
say "Well... We got flamed."

Not only that, Virgin might have been considering normal donations on
a regular basis. Or a whole lot of other things to do in cooperation
with WMF.

Nice going, people. You've probably set us back a mile or so.

--
Łukasz 'TOR' Garczewski