[Foundation-l] Use of logos within Wikimedia sites

Samuel Klein meta.sj at gmail.com
Sun Feb 11 19:55:50 UTC 2007

On Sun, 11 Feb 2007, Anthere wrote:

> geni wrote:
>> On 2/9/07, Samuel Klein <meta.sj at gmail.com> wrote:
>>
>>> Since we also have the benefit of an official Foundation logo, perhaps
>>> the project logos can themselves be open-use.  What are the problems we
>>> are trying to avoid, and what things that we want are being held back
>>> due to licensing issues?
>>
>> the foundation wishes to be able to raise money by lisenceing the use
>> of the logo to third parties
>
> yes.
> Plus another reason: avoiding other parties to misuse the logo (such as
> using it to promote a right wing encyclopedic website) and as such
> damaging our image.
>
> These two reasons (image and possibility to raise money) explain why the
> Foundation will not put the logos under a free licence.

The first reason you mention (misuse, misrepresenting the projects) sounds
like a trademark matter, not a copyright matter.

As to the second reason: free use by wikiProjects, on-wiki, and in other
non-commercial ways, would not prevent raising money by licensing logos to
people selling something.

An -NC license makes sense here, as does trademark protection; I don't see
why derivatives should not be allowed beyond these points.

SJ