[Foundation-l] Clearing up Wikimedia's media licensing policies (some important points)

Kat Walsh mindspillage at gmail.com
Fri Feb 9 01:41:47 UTC 2007

On 2/8/07, Conrad Dunkerson <conrad.dunkerson at att.net> wrote:
> Kat, would you PLEASE put something like your comments below into a nice
> neat package specifically clarifying that you were not seeking to spell
> out detailed new 'rules' on fair use... because the usual suspects are now
> 'interpreting' your original statement to mean anything from '90% of all
> fair use must be deleted immediately and without discussion' to 'any
> reasonable fair use rationale is now valid for all of Wikimedia'. With
> resulting deletion purges, cries of 'admin abuse', et cetera breaking out
> as the 'jihadists' on all sides arm themselves with this latest excuse to
> treat each other badly.

Oh, geez, getting into any active thread on the en: administrators'
noticeboard is something that takes a lot of time and intestinal
fortitude. :-) I don't know what to make a nice neat package out of;
you're certainly welcome to quote those paragraphs (and for that
matter anything else I say on a public list).

-Kat

--
Wikimedia needs you: http://wikimediafoundation.org/wiki/Fundraising