[Foundation-l] wikicouncil

Erik Moeller erik at wikimedia.org
Sun Dec 30 03:47:24 UTC 2007

On 12/30/07, daniwo59 at aol.com <daniwo59 at aol.com> wrote:
> While there is much to say about your entire post, since it is rather long,
> I will focus on this point. Previously, you hinted at a rejection the idea of
> community elections, i.e., the community does not choose. Now you are adding
> to  this that neither Board nor Staff choose.
>
> Who is left? Outsiders? Large donors? Wikilovers? My Aunt Gertrude?

A panel of experts who can evaluate the skills criteria seriously. So
in order to evaluate whether a potential Board member would be
successful at fundraising, you might want someone who has a track
record of fundraising for the organization; in order to select someone
who would bring the required legal skills, you'd want an accomplished
legal expert (think Lessig or Moglen caliber), in order to find
someone who can represent community values, you'd want a highly
respected member of the community, etc. I did not say the ED should be
_on_ the panel, only that they should advise the Board on how the
panel would be constructed.

So it would probably include "outsiders" and wikilovers, it might
include a large donor, and it is unlikely to include your aunt, though
I do not know her.

--
Erik Möller