[Foundation-l] wikicouncil

Chad innocentkiller at gmail.com
Sat Dec 29 16:08:37 UTC 2007

I had thought about ideas like this before, and they make a lot of
sense. As Erik
mentioned, the board should concern itself (largely) with corporate
governance and
fund raising, not the meta-issues of the community. Sadly, the larger Wikimedia
community do not participate in meta, nor do they post to this list
(nor would we
want that, could you imagine 10000+ voices debating the new CheckUser policy
in 30 different languages?). I think that we (as a community) would
need to decide
exactly what and what not to task this council with. Additionally,
strictly defining
what functions it retains an advisory capacity to, and what functions
it has binding
decision-making powers over. Under no circumstances should the council's actions
deviate from what the community (and board) originally mandate it to do, without
a reexamination of said mandate. Failure to do so will result in a massive
backfiring of this plan, not to mention decreased community faith in the board
and this new council.

In short: Fantastic idea Florence, but we need to make sure the community and
board are transparent about this process and make sure it proceeds with the
community's blessing. I can tell you that en.wikipedia (if not other
projects as well)
will be wary of accepting "rulings" handed down from some "insider"
council (as it
will inevitably be perceived by some) they had little say in the
original organization
of.

All the best,
Chad H.