[Foundation-l] wikicouncil

Erik Moeller erik at wikimedia.org
Sat Dec 29 15:54:16 UTC 2007

On 12/29/07, Florence Devouard <Anthere9 at yahoo.com> wrote:
> One way out of this is to gather a group of representatives, in the same
> way that parliaments can represent citizens, and give to this group a
> certain authority to make decisions on behalf of the wikimedians. There
> are many cases right now where either these decisions are made by the
> board (and I do not think the board should do that), or by random
> sub-groups, or by ... no one.

If the Board should not make community-relevant decisions, why does it
need so many community representatives? If the primary function of the
Board is corporate oversight and fundraising, wouldn't it be wise to
design a Board that actually serves that purpose?

A Wikicouncil could be a useful addition to the Board -- but it should
not be designed in isolation from it. It should only be considered as
part of a serious process of Board reform.

Best,
Erik Möller