[Foundation-l] A dangerous precedent

Matthew Britton matthew.britton at btinternet.com
Sat Dec 29 12:22:10 UTC 2007

Milos Rancic wrote:

> - There are a lot of other projects which was and are adding articles
> by bots. The reason why the target is Volapuk Wikipedia instead of
> English, Italian, Polish, Dutch, even Chinese, Serbian, Napolitan...
> -- I may only guess. The most possible reason is that contributors of
> Volapuk Wikipedia has some personal problems with particular
> contributors of German Wikipedia.

First, you seem to be assuming that all short stubs of the form "foo is
a bar in baz" are "bot-generated". This is not true; I have written
several such articles myself. There are contributors who have written
thousands of such articles.

Second, stop throwing around nonsense about "personal problems". The
difference is clear: Volapuk is a language with no native speakers and
the wiki is 99.99% bot-generated *by a single person*, the other
languages you list have millions of native speakers and the overwhelming
majority of the content was added by hand, by thousands if not millions
of contributors. Can you really not see the difference, and that it is
not the mission of the Wikimedia Foundation to host people's personal
projects for them?

-Gurch