[Foundation-l] About transparency

Derrick Farnell derrick.farnell at gmail.com
Wed Dec 26 13:54:51 UTC 2007

I agree with SJ. Radical transparency seems to fit perfectly with the
radical collaboration model used by Wikipedia.  If we can give anonymous
users the power to vandalise a page, which can then be seen by everyone,
including the media, then I don't see why we can't let everyone see our
decision-making processes, warts and all.

I also think that the term 'radical transparency' is a bit loaded: the word
'radical' seems designed to scare people in this context. Why not just use
the word 'transparency'?! It is surely lesser forms of transparency that
should have a qualifying term - e.g. 'semi-transparency'. It would surely be
misleading to refer to such forms of semi-transparency simply with the term
'transparency'.

But I have a much, much deeper concern about Florence's post. Why are we
merely being presented with the decision not to have 'radical transparency'?
I appreciate that the board must be able to make certain decisions without
consultation with the rest of the community, but surely not on such an
incredibly fundamental issue as this? I'm new to this community and am
wondering what rules are in place to dictate which decisions are made by the
board and which by the community as a whole? For example, I assume it is not
the case that the board has the power to introduce adds without any
consultation?

Derrick Farnell