[Foundation-l] Fundraiser update

Erik Moeller erik at wikimedia.org
Fri Dec 21 06:44:42 UTC 2007

On 12/21/07, Robert Rohde <rarohde at gmail.com> wrote:
> I'd be among the first to point out that WMF needs the money, but eventually
> I have imagine that several short drives is better than 1 really long one.

The two main reasons for extending the drive:

* Hopefully we'll have a new fundraising site up soon, and this will
allow us to do some more testing on what difference it could make;

* We want to benefit from any increased likelihood to give over the holidays.

Obviously there are many things about this fundraiser that have been
very broken; the fact that I (still as Board member) spent my weekend
brainstorming with an old student friend of mine over the design of
the sitenotice to get the current one ready tells you something about
the bandwidth that WMF has had for the execution of this thing:
There's an audit underway, we're relocating, we're hiring, etc. So no,
simply extending the FR by another few days is not going to do
miracles, but hopefully it'll net something like another $50K-$100K,
which isn't nothing.

Erik