[Foundation-l] Wikimedia/Wikipedia trademarks?

Nathan Awrich nawrich at gmail.com
Tue Dec 18 00:35:56 UTC 2007

Sure, my fault for not being clear and perhaps not understanding fully
the structure of the relationships involved. Maybe it would be more
clear to say

1. What special rights do Wikimedia chapters get regarding the
trademarks of the US Wikimedia Foundation?'

2. Is the use of WMF marks by WMF local chapters governed by
indemnification agreements?

3. Is the extent of WMF exposure to the various state speech and
publication laws known in areas outside of the US and Europe, and do
we actively try to adhere to local standards when we know them? (I'm
reminded of Yahoo and China here).

4. How effective is OTRS at policing legal issues in languages with few members?

5. Has WMF had any trademark infringement/misuse issues so far?

6. If the marks of the WMF are registered to the WMF to the extent
possible, is there a mechanism for revoking license to those marks if
a Wikimedia chapter violates the spirit of WMF?

Apoligies for not being clear before. Feel free to tell me to take a
hike if this information is none of my business ;-)

Nathan