[Foundation-l] Passed resolution (super short update)

Andrew Whitworth wknight8111 at gmail.com
Thu Dec 13 02:44:01 UTC 2007

On Dec 12, 2007 9:19 PM, John at Darkstar <vacuum at jeb.no> wrote:
> I'm against this move, not because GFDL is brilliant and CC-by-SA is
> bad, but because I don't think it is neither legal nor legitimate.
> Contributions are committed under a specific license and we have to
> respect that. If not we ruin or own creditability.

When you contribute to Wikipedia or whatever, the copyright notice
explicitly says that you release your contributions under the GFDL
V1.2 "or any later version published by the Free Software Foundation".
If a later version published by the FSF says "Users of this license,
if they meet certain conditions, may freely migrate to license X",
then under the "or any later version" clause, we adopt the new GFDL
and we are free to use any migration clauses in that license. It is
neither illegal (in most jurisdictions) nor illegitimate.

--Andrew Whitworth