[Foundation-l] A day to celebrate, Wikipedia on the cover of the Stern magazine, in a comparison with Brockhaus (and guess who "won"...)

geni geniice at gmail.com
Fri Dec 7 02:30:00 UTC 2007

On 05/12/2007, Mathias Schindler <mathias.schindler at gmail.com> wrote:
> Greetings,
>
> Tomorrow's issue of Stern Magazin (think about it as a slightly softer
> version of Newsweek or TIME, more or less) has Wikipedia on its cover.
> They compared 50 articles from de.wp to the 15-volume edition of the
> Brockhaus publishing house to each other (the test was done by
> experts, of course :) ) and posted the results in a press release,
> pointing to the article:
>
> http://www.presseportal.de/pm/6329/1096919/gruner_jahr_stern
>
> The overall score for Wikipedia was 1,7 on a scale from 1 (best) to 6
> (worst), Brockhaus got a 2,7.
>
> In only 6 out of 50 articles, Brockhaus was considered to be better,
> in 43 cases, it was Wikipedia.
>
> We were especially good in the topic of current events (how
> surprizing) and .... Correctness.
>
> We only suck at readability right now, we are too tough for people
> unfamiliar with a topic.
>
> All in all, I think this is excellent news that deserves to be
> discussed and celebrated. Of course, we should not make this
> journalistic article to be a direct statement from us, since there
> might be flaws in methodology. And a test sample of 50 is also not
> that large.
>
> Mathias

Slightly balanced by someone trying to prosecute wikipedia for talking
about the nazis in the wrong way.

http://uk.reuters.com/article/technologyNews/idUKL0616923220071206?feedType=RSS&feedName=technologyNews

I think this is the version they are complaining about:

http://de.wikipedia.org/w/index.php?title=Hitler-Jugend&oldid=39453619

--
geni