[Foundation-l] Racism in Commons

George Herbert george.herbert at gmail.com
Wed Dec 5 19:56:53 UTC 2007

On Dec 5, 2007 11:49 AM, Waerth <waerth at asianet.co.th> wrote:

> Oh boy, this pisses me off.
>
> Cartoons insulting Sharon must be removed and we are rolling over
> ourselves to get them away.
>
> But the Cartoons insulting the prophet Mohammed are allowed on our
> projects:
>
> http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Image:Jyllands-Posten-pg3-article-in-Sept-30-2005-edition-of-KulturWeekend-entitled-Muhammeds-ansigt.png
>
> Somehow I smell a christian-judeo double-standard/bias here

Those are illustrating a very notable, widely publicized public incident.

Hosting random racist anti-Sharon artwork that is not used in any article on
any project is not the point of WP Commons.

If there is equivalent artwork that is attacking Moslems (or Hindus, or
Buddhists, Jews, Christians, or Pastafarians for all I care) hosted on
Commons that is not used on any article on any project, those should come
down too.  If you know of any please let us know so that it can be dealt
with.

That we only found one example in one religious alignment so far doesn't
mean that we shouldn't deal with anything in the same category the same way.

--
-george william herbert
george.herbert at gmail.com