[Foundation-l] Simple solution to the GFDL/CC-by-SA issue

Andrew Whitworth wknight8111 at gmail.com
Mon Dec 3 18:36:51 UTC 2007

> As far as I can understand, the main problem we have with the GFDL is that
> you have to include the entire text of the license if you want to use
> something that is GFDL. Why not, in the next GFDL version, just remove the
> clause that says you have to include the entire license, and just say it's
> sufficient to state that the material is GFDL and credit the author(s) in
> the appropriate manner? Wouldn't that - for the everyday person - accomplish
> exactly the same as switching to CC-by-SA?

A bit of a follow-up to this question: If the FSF modifies the GFDL to
be compatible with CC-BY-SA, wouldn't that negate the need to migrate
from one to the other? If the two licenses were fully-compatible to
the point that migration was possible, wouldn't we already be getting
everything we want out of the GFDL anyway? If the GFDL is modified to
suit our needs as well as the CC-BY-SA does, why is there a need to
migrate?

--Andrew Whitworth