[Foundation-l] Requirements for a strong copyleft license

Delphine Ménard notafishz at gmail.com
Sun Dec 2 12:11:09 UTC 2007

On Dec 2, 2007 2:22 AM, Erik Moeller <erik at wikimedia.org> wrote:
> (This is a posting to multiple lists.)
>
> As you've probably read, the Wikimedia Foundation has agreed in
> principle to support an update of Wikipedia content from the GFDL to
> CC-BY-SA, pending a community approval of such a migration. The FSF
> and Creative Commons are supporting us to make this transition
> possible.

I am sorry, I do not read the resolution
(http://wikimediafoundation.org/wiki/Resolution:License_update)
 the way you seem to interpret it.

To me the points are:
- It is hereby resolved that:

    * The Foundation requests that the GNU Free Documentation License
be modified in the fashion proposed by the FSF to allow migration by
mass collaborative projects to the Creative Commons CC-BY-SA license;

=> The whole resolution is in any case submitted to the changes
brought to the GFDL.

    * Upon the announcement of that relicensing, the Foundation will
initiate a process of community discussion and voting before making a
final decision on relicensing.

=> If that relicensing (actually, I find the term relicensing is very
misleading here, because it seems to say that relicensing will happen
and THEN the dicussion will come.) or rather, in my interpretation, if
those "changes are applied" or this "migration is made possible", THEN
there will be community discussion and the Foundation will ultimately
vote on whether the projects will adopt CC-BY-SA in the future.

In short I see four steps:
- WMF is saying "sure we'll look at it if you make the licenses compatible"
- WMF requests that GFDL be changed to allow mass migration to CC-BY-SA
- When these changes occur, community discussion and vote will follow
- Finally the WMF will say yes or no (I suppose of course by taking
into consideration the community discussion and vote(s) )

Your shortcut "WMF will agree pending community approval" does not
seem to reflect those steps.

Did I understand this wrong?

Delphine
--