[Foundation-l] A general wiki list?

Milos Rancic millosh at gmail.com
Thu Aug 23 02:01:44 UTC 2007

On 8/23/07, Brianna Laugher <brianna.laugher at gmail.com> wrote:
> I don't think it's necessary; just get a moderator who will jump on
> people who are hostile. (And no I'm not volunteering :)) You can
> hardly mandate membership requirements for an open mailing list.

The intention was just to show that the list shouldn't be a dominated
by one group, but also to find some model against destructive people.
And to put it into one rule. It seems that I am too much influenced by
continental way of generating social rules ;) As you say...

> I'm not sure if you intend this to be for all users/developers of all
> wiki engines, or all editors on all specific wiki sites. Either way,
> there are some interesting things out there I'm sure we could learn
> from.

I think that it should be a llist of all users and developers of all
wiki engines.

My primary intention was to make a place where people would be able to
talk about wiki projects in general (or particular, whatever), but not
related exclusively to WM projects. Even I am for a long time well
introduced where to ask what, I completely understand frustration of
the people who are trying to give some idea and to discuss about it,
but very soon they realize that anything which is not related to WM is
off topic here. So, wider community needs a general list where such
talks will not be off topic.

But, while thinking about the list (and supporting wiki) I realized
that they may be used fo a number of other interesting things.

For example, while MediaWiki today is growing into a dominant wiki
engine, I think that pywikipediabot is the core of a new generation
wiki engine which should replace MW in some future. But, even it is
safe to say that both projects are WM projects, there is no list to
discuss about that (mediawiki is for MediaWiki, wikitech is for
Wikimedia related technical things, pywikipedia is for a
pywikipediabot; maybe wikiresearch? but how many developers of MW and
pwb are there?).

Or, I think that MediaWiki is better software for revision control
then CVS/SVN. And there is no place to talk about it wider. I would
like to talk about it with, for example, some Apache developer
generally interested in wiki concept. And it is hard to say that such
person is willing to be on MW list and catches interesting things from
99% talk about MW features and bugs.

Those were my today's thoughts :) And I am sure that there are a lot
of things related to wiki concept which are simply off topic at the
most of wiki places.