[Foundation-l] Alternative to paypal

Delirium delirium at hackish.org
Sun Aug 5 10:07:16 UTC 2007

Ben Yates wrote:
> The new amazon payment API looks really good.  Support for micropayments, etc.
>
> http://paulstamatiou.com/2007/08/04/why-you-shouldnt-ignore-amazons-new-fps/

If I recall correctly, when proposals like this come up, the canned
reply from foundation-type people (if a reply comes at all) is that at
the moment the benefits of adding another option outweight the negatives
of having to manage yet another account---between Paypal, moneybookers,
direct bank transfers in both Germany and the US, and mailed checks,
most people are able to donate with reasonable ease, a large number of
currencies are covered, and the fees aren't *too* unreasonable. At
least, that was the reply to previous suggestions that we add support
for e-gold and for Google's payment system.

Perhaps at some point in the future they'll do a reevaluation and choose
a new set of two online payment systems (maybe moneybookers is no longer
the best 2nd choice?), but I don't think it's likely that Wikimedia will
ever want the hassle of simultaneously supporting a large number of them,

Of course, I speak as someone with no particular knowledge of the
foundation's inner workings; these are just my observations of past
practice.

-Mark