[Foundation-l] Mission & Vision statement updated

Erik Moeller erik at wikimedia.org
Wed Apr 25 20:42:24 UTC 2007

The Mission and Vision statement of WMF have been officially updated
after the recent community discussions:

http://meta.wikimedia.org/w/index.php?title=Mission&oldid=571884
http://meta.wikimedia.org/w/index.php?title=Vision&oldid=571890

See the related Board resolution:
http://wikimediafoundation.org/wiki/Resolution:Mission_and_Vision_statement

Some clarifications that have been made include:
- focus on "neutral educational content" instead of simply "knowledge" in the MS
- use of "free content license" instead of the possibly confusing "free license"
- in VS, replace "free access" with the broader "share in the sum of
all knowledge"

The unstable versions are still open to editing, and we will debate
this issue regularly. For now, I would appreciate it if translators
could start working on these statements. They should probably also be
posted in a couple of very official places on wikimediafoundation.org
:-)

--
Peace & Love,
Erik

"An old, rigid civilization is reluctantly dying. Something new, open,
free and exciting is waking up." -- Ming the Mechanic