[Foundation-l] What are the assets of the Foundation, anyway?

Erik Moeller erik at wikimedia.org
Wed Apr 18 23:24:15 UTC 2007

On 4/19/07, daniwo59 at aol.com <daniwo59 at aol.com> wrote:
> The problem is that this is not a new issue. It has been around for a  while,
> and this just puts it back on the backburner. I can only wonder, why has
> nothing been done until now? Why has it not been investigated  yet?

As you know, Legal Counsel and Interim ED were one and the same person
from June 2006 - January 2007. Before then, the WMF did not employ a
Legal Counsel _or_ an Executive Director. A lot of work _did_ get done
in this time period, including but not limited to:
- Bylaws reform and Board expansion
- Mission & Vision statement of WMF developed
- Largest fundraiser of WMF to date
- Audited financial statements released
- Hardware purchases and renegotiated contracts
- Identifying a Search Committee to work with on the ED Search
- Hiring several new key staff members
- Progress on international chapter setup and trademark agreements

Then there was the media crisis of the day, legal threats, conflicts
between staff members, the usual stuff -- but it culminated in your
and Brad's resignation for different reasons. I agree that
investigating and implementing a risk management strategy is a very
high priority. It is not necessarily the highest, and in my opinion
will be the result of a process over several months that should
involve chapter representatives and some of the best cyberlaw experts
we can find.
--
Peace & Love,
Erik

"An old, rigid civilization is reluctantly dying. Something new, open,
free and exciting is waking up." -- Ming the Mechanic