[Foundation-l] Taipei chosen to host Wikimania 2007

Gatto Nero gattonero at gmail.com
Fri Sep 29 07:28:23 UTC 2006

2006/9/29, GerardM <gerard.meijssen at gmail.com>:
> Hoi,
> Both Turin and Almere are in Europe. Both should be allowed to enter the
> 2008 competition. Rio de Janeiro or Johannesburg or Adelaide or Dullsville
> should be allowed to enter the 2008 competition. There is NO reason why they
> should not be allowed to compete on equal footing.

I agree that everyone should have the right to compete in an *equal*
competition (that's the stress: *equal*).
There is no reason why Turin should be favoured for 2008, just as
Taipei should have not been favoured for 2007 (even if this has
happened). Bids should be evaluated only for what they are and what
they say, for the work done, for their accuracy, for they originality
(maybe).
Personally (and repeat: personally, as Gatto Nero), I think that this
proposal - favouring Torino for 2008 - is just as offensive for our
work as the choose made for 2007. You know, all this "second choice"
thing remember me of Olympic Games in Sidney and then in Athens.
Or of a mother that gives candy to their children just to keep them quite.
But again: it's my opinion. There are italians really happy for what Jimbo said.

> When there are things about the 2007 competition that were problematic, they
> should be part of the learning process that may be happening before the
> competition for Wikimania 2008 starts.

Just like changing the jury? Or maybe considering more what people
outside uk/en/jury members think and prefer?

Gatto Nero