[Foundation-l] The Foundation is not a wiki (was Re: RfC: Key priorities ...

daniwo59 at aol.com daniwo59 at aol.com
Mon Sep 25 10:49:07 UTC 2006

In a message dated 9/25/2006 4:08:04 AM Eastern Daylight Time,
gerard.meijssen at gmail.com writes:

The  Wikimedia Foundation is NOT Wikipedia. Boardmembers should have an
obvious  interest in what we do. Being notable does not qualify people. If
you want  someone notable, ask Kofi Anan to become a board member when his
tenure as  the secretary general of the United Nations has ended. This is
what I call  notable; notability as an IT person is not what I would think
qualifies a  person as a board member of the Wikimedia  Foundation.

No one is suggesting that notability is the sole criteria. However, we are  a
project devoted to education, so bring in educators, we are a project devoted
 to free culture, so bring in people who are at the forefront of the free
content  movement. And yes, we are a project devoted to reaching out to the
developing  world, so bring in people with experience in that world. Larry Lessig
or other  people like seem like a good idea. And if someone of the stature of
Kofi  Anan asked if he could help Wikipedia by serving on its board, we should
be  grateful.

Danny