[Foundation-l] The Foundation is not a wiki (was Re: RfC: Key priorities for my work)

GerardM gerard.meijssen at gmail.com
Mon Sep 25 08:07:49 UTC 2006

Hoi,
I think it is perfectly reasonable to expect people who are to play a part
in the organisation of the Wikimedia Foundation to have an obvious interest
in our projects. Expecting people to have edited on Wikipedia is a bad
example of yet again thinking the WMF is the same as Wikipedia. When you
want to have "important" or "notable" people governing our organisation and
you yourself get it wrong; indicating that there are "more ways to help us
with our mission than editing Wikipedia", I fear that they will also get it
wrong.

The Wikimedia Foundation is NOT Wikipedia. Boardmembers should have an
obvious interest in what we do. Being notable does not qualify people. If
you want someone notable, ask Kofi Anan to become a board member when his
tenure as the secretary general of the United Nations has ended. This is
what I call notable; notability as an IT person is not what I would think
qualifies a person as a board member of the Wikimedia Foundation.

Thanks,
     GerardM