[Foundation-l] Report from Frankfurt - October 2006

daniwo59 at aol.com daniwo59 at aol.com
Sun Oct 29 12:51:47 UTC 2006

Actually, we have always had them. As a not fo profit in the United States,
we are required to have a mission statement, because we are accepting  money.
People have a right to know what they are giving money to, and that is  laid
out in the mission statement.

For instance, Wikimedia cannot decide to spend 100,000 euros on  sending food
to Darfur because--even though it is a worthy cause--it lies  outside the
scope of our mission. This helps to ensure to our donors that the  money they
give us us used specifically for the development and spread of free
content/knowledge.

Danny

In a message dated 10/29/2006 6:48:38 AM Eastern Standard Time,
geniice at gmail.com writes:

On  10/29/06, Alphax (Wikipedia email) <alphasigmax at gmail.com>  wrote:
> geni wrote:
> > On 10/29/06, Michael Snow  <wikipedia at earthlink.net> wrote:
> >> For example, we worked  on drafting a formal
> >> vision and mission statement
>  >
> > Why?
> >

>  Because.

The problem is that that is what I'm rather worried  the answer would
be. We appear to have got on okay without one and I tend  to feel that
haveing one would risk giving rule lawyers more  aminition.

--
geni
foundation-l  mailing  list
foundation-l at wikimedia.org