[Foundation-l] please remove my moderating bits

Neil Harris usenet at tonal.clara.co.uk
Wed Oct 25 13:28:35 UTC 2006

geni wrote:
> On 10/25/06, SJ <2.718281828 at gmail.com> wrote:
>
>> En:wp has a policy as of this year
>> not to allow usernames with non-latin character sets. I have no idea
>> where that came from, but it is a shame.
>>

> I don't follow username policy but it is likely to do with issues
> related to certain cyrillic characters (ie they look like latin
> characters).

That problem's now fixed.

The visual resemblances of Latin, Greek and Cyrillic characters are
taken into account by the software when comparing new usernames against
already-registered usernames.

In addition, mixing script systems within a single username is now
forbidden.

However, the remaining problem, which is that most Latin-script readers
can't easily discern the differences between names in radically
different writing systems (and indeed, in many cases, that such names
cannot be displayed at all in their browsers) is still a major issue,
and one that will need addressing when single-sign-in is fully implemented.

One possibility is the automatic transliteration of names when used in
wikis whose "home script" is different; another is allowing users to
create their own disambiguating pseudonyms for use on wikis with
different default writing systems, so that their names might, for
example, be represented as "???? (Xiao Zhou)", where "????" stands for
Unicoded Chinese characters which are not readable by most westerners.

Any such disambiguating pseudonyms would, of course, also need to be
unique within the same namespace as ordinary usernames.

-- Neil