[Foundation-l] Allegations of Wikipedia plagurism by Brandt/Websites he has stirred up sending nasty notices

George Herbert george.herbert at gmail.com
Mon Oct 23 18:09:17 UTC 2006

On 10/23/06, Jeff V. Merkey <jmerkey at wolfmountaingroup.com> wrote:

> Mr. Brandt has posted a long listing of articles to his website making
> allegations of plagurism
> of wikipedia articles from copyrighted sources.
>
> http://www.wikipedia-watch.org/psamples.html
>
> Some editors may want to investigate these claims to determine if the
> articles were copied from
> (Wikipedia -> these sites) or the other way around (these sites ->
> Wikipedia).
>
> I did receive a notice on a couple of the articles I had uploaded to
> Wikigadugi from the XML dumps
> along with some comments about "looking into possible copyright
> infringement" from one of the sites
> Brandt references which brought this matter to my attention in the first
> place.  Someone should probably
> go over these articles and determine if these claims have merit.
>
> I am not going to take down anythig from Wikigadugi right now since I am
> unable to determine if the
> articles were copied FROM Wikipedia or the other way around.
>
> Jeff

I picked two at random - I can't get to his info page on [[John Glover
(general)]], and the info on the [[Julius L. Meier]] page does at first
glance seem a copyvio, but someone seems to have nuked the WP page
recently.  The text Brandt cites seems to be consistent with Google's cache.

Can someone with an admin bit inform us who's deleting these articles (or if
that was the only one, that one...)?

--
-george william herbert
george.herbert at gmail.com