[Foundation-l] Dream a little...

Gerard Meijssen gerard.meijssen at gmail.com
Mon Oct 16 18:16:55 UTC 2006

P. Birken wrote:
> 2006/10/15, Gregory Maxwell <gmaxwell at gmail.com>:
>

>> How about recordings of out of copyright (i.e. classical)  music?  The
>> only rights holder should be whomever recorded it and whomever they
>> signed agreements with in order to be permitted to record it.  There
>> are a number of small record labels such as [[Nimbus Records]] as well
>> as the concert halls themselves which have large libraries of music.
>> I think this would only be worthwhile as a funded endeavor if it could
>> land us a truly massive archive which would enable us to illustrate a
>> majority of our articles on long-dead composers.
>>

> Classical music recordings are what I would call the classical
> copyright nightmare. It might be possible to get solo pieces under a
> free licence, but orchestra pieces... I talked to a Conductor of the
> local university orchestra about putting some of their recordings
> under a free license. You have to get forty people (the recorders) to
> put this under a free licence. The next part is that while the music
> is free, orchestras usually rent the notes from some music publishing
> company (because it's too expensive to buy a complete set of notes for
> every piece). These companies in turn put demands on your use of their
> notes, most often fees for commercial use, which would in a way apply
> if you put this under the GNU-FDL or CC-by-SA.
>
> Nevertheless, it sounds like a good idea to fund a piano player to
> record the major Bach, Beethoven and Mozart piano pieces.
>
> Cheers,
>
> Philipp
Hoi,
When it is not possible to play a piece by Haydn Mozart Rossini because
there is no music available, we should SCAN these works and digitize
them. When we have done this, we should make them available. When we
make these works available, it will become easier to perform these
works. As more material becomes easily available, more music will be
played. This in term will stimulate the performance of music.

The performance of music by amateur musicians is imho more important
than to have another performance by an acknowledged master performer. I
think that popular music is popular because it is easy to get a band
together and just play. When it is EASY to get the music, it will become
easy to perform.. Remember Bach was a composer and his compositions were
first and foremost consumables. When it is easy to just have another
piece of music when you decide you do not like the one you have, the
entry level to music will be lowered and music will become less of a
consumable and more participatory.

When you invest money, you have to consider what you want to achieve
with it.. When I buy music I want my violin concerto performed by Maxim
Vengerov or I might buy the latest Patti Smith. When I were to invest
money, I would consider what WE should spend money on, what would help
US. Our success exist because of us cooperating. When we invest, it
should make us stronger. We do not get stronger by paying royalties; we
get stronger by investing in the restoration of the same material and we
should only invest in it when we Free this material at the same time.
When we are to invest in politicking, I would echo Elian and have "Free
Donald and Mickey" be our battle cry.

I would echo Danny where he wants to spend serious money into our
hardware; there are many challenges that can be overcome with ample
funding, I would however spend a lot more money in the development of
our software. So many dreams are not realised because there is nobody
willing to consider it, willing to code it. Much functionality is
unlikely to get coded because it is just too much work.

Yes, we can spend $100.000.000,- but let us spend it in a way that makes
us stronger. When we show that we can spend wisely, it will be the
beginning of something great; the restoration of a participatory
society. When we spend wisely, we will be trusted with much more money.

Thanks,
    Gerard