[Foundation-l] Taipei chosen to host Wikimania 2007

Lars Aronsson lars at aronsson.se
Mon Oct 2 20:14:57 UTC 2006

valdelli at bluemail.ch wrote:

> To go in Taipei or in Boston or in Sidney is very expensive for
> a wikipedian, and most of all wikipedians are students with a
> little bit of money.
>
> To have a Wikimania in each continent could be good to offer an
> opportunity to all wikipedians without claims.

On the other hand, all wikipedians have an Internet connection and
many wikipedians have *good* Internet connections through their
universities.  The conclusion must be that *online participation*
should be facilitated as far as possible.  Two-way video
participation in workshops, video broadcast of presentations,
direct chat, still photos, transcriptions and written summaries,
translations, etc.  Some don't have enough bandwidth to use
streaming video, but for those who can, it is more affordable than
visiting in person.

In fact, we don't have to wait until Wikimania.  Regular local
meetings of wikipedians could be shared over the Internet.  Has
anybody tried this already?  I don't mean simple IRC sessions, but
something like a video link between two local Wikipedia meet-ups?

--
  Lars Aronsson (lars at aronsson.se)