[Foundation-l] [Announcement] Wikimedia promotion committee

Elisabeth Bauer elian at djini.de
Sun Oct 1 11:01:38 UTC 2006

I'd like to announce here the creation of the Wikimedia promotion
committee. It is a new subcommittee of the Communications committee
which deals with the production of promotion material for Wikimedia and
its projects and establishing guidelines to ensure that promotion
material follows some quality standards.

== Membership ==

The subcom is currently composed of Arne Klempert and me. Some
background: Arne has worked as media designer for some years and he has
created much of the printed material for Wikimedia Deutschland. I'm a
typesetter's daughter, interested and educated in typography since
childhood and worked as a journalist for some years where I also got
some insights into professional layout.

The procedure for becoming a member of the committee is simple: submit
good work ;-) If you have a skilled hand for design and like creating
needed promotion stuff, we're happy to welcome you as new member.

Of course you don't have to be a member to create promotion stuff - if
you do on a regular basis, we're very happy to hear from you, review
work together and help.

== Visual identity guidelines ==

The committee works on developing visual identity guidelines for the
projects. In the absence of project specific guidelines, the guidelines
for the Wikimedia logo are valid:
http://wikimediafoundation.org/wiki/Wikimedia_visual_identity_guidelines

If you design promotion stuff for your project, please follow them as
closely as possible (or we'll come and hunt you at night ;-)

== Production of promotion material ==

It's obvious that two people can't do all the necessary design work for
all the projects in the different languages. Currently, we focus on
creating a basic set of necessary things:
* Brochure (threefold, DIN A4), see http://meta.wikimedia.org/wiki/Leaflet
* Cheatsheet (DIN A long), see http://meta.wikimedia.org/wiki/Cheatsheet
* Information kit for journalists, sponsors and business contacts (DIN A4)

The first steps towards an achieved corporate identity are currently
done on http://meta.wikimedia.org/wiki/Leaflet/cover (title page of
brochures for wikimedia and all projects), please voice your opinion on
the talk page about the drafts and/or submit own proposals.

== Logos ==

The promotion subcom will act as intermediate institution between
community and board in the process of choosing new project logos. It
will check if community chosen project logos fullfill the necessary
requirements (format specification, copyright situation etc., see
http://meta.wikimedia.org/wiki/Logos) to become official project logos
and submit them with a recommendation to the board for approval.

== Contact ==

You can contact as on http://meta.wikimedia.org/wiki/Talk:Promotion, on
IRC in #wikimedia-cc (akl and elian) or by email to elian at djini.de and
arne.klempert at wikimedia.de

If you are interested in the activities of the promcom, please get in
touch with us.

greetings,
elian